Granville Harbour Wind Farm, Tasmania, Australia - Project details and construction updates

Last Modified: Sat Apr 18 2020 08:12:06 GMT+0530 (India Standard Time)
  • 112 MW
    generation capacity of the Granville Harbour Wind Farm, located on the northern half of Granville Farm, approximately 1.8 kilometres north of the township of Granville Harbour, Tasmania.
  • 360 GWh
    of electricity will be generated each year and will deliver a one-third increase to the state’s wind power capacity.
  • 46,000
    approximate number of households that can be powered by the farm each year.
  • 130,000 tonnes
    estimated reduction in GHG emissions once the farm is operational.
  • 1,200 hectare
    cattle farm will be used. The project will connect to the network at Reece Power Station.
  • 31
    Vestas V126-3.6 MW turbines will be used.
  • 5
    major organisations involved: 1) Project owner and developer: John Laing Group, Palisade Investment Partners, Westcoast Wind 2) EPC & O&M: Vestas 3) Power distribution: Hydro Tasmania.
  • $280 million
    estimated project cost. This project is being funded through equity commitments from Palisade’s Renewable Energy Fund (PREF) and CEFC. The CEFC has committed $59 million to the project. Pallisade will also secure senior debt from Australia and New Zealand Banking Group, MUFG Bank as well as Westpac Banking Corporation.
  • 200
    peak jobs during construction phase.
  • 10
    permanent jobs during operational phase.
  • 2018
    Planned start of construction.
  • 26 Jun 2017
    Hydro Tasmania signs Power Purchase Agreement in consultation with the Tasmanian Government. Under the agreement, Hydro Tasmania would buy about 360 gigawatt hours (GWh) of energy and renewable energy certificates per year from the proposed wind farm, which would connect to the network at Reece Power Station.
  • 22 Jan 2018
    The Hodgman Liberal Government announces commencement of construction.
  • Feb 2018
    Palisade Investment Partners buys out the farm from Westcoast Wind.
  • 12 Jul 2018
    Project announces financial close after an investment from the Clean Energy Finance Corporation (CEFC). The CEFC commits $59 million to the project.
  • 12 Jul 2018
    Palisade places turnkey order with Vestas. the order includes civil and electrical works, supply and commissioning of the turbines as well as a 25-year Active Output Management 5000 (AOM 5000) service agreement.
  • Oct 2018
    Early construction work at the site.
  • Nov 2018
    Shipment of 45 turbine blades to arrives in Burnie. The Vestas turbine blades are 62 metres long and were manufactured in China. The blades and associated components will be stored at a nearby facility in Burnie until they’re needed at site.
  • Nov 2018
    Infrastructure investor John Laing takes 49.8% stake in the project, with remaining 50.2% with a renewable energy fund run by Palisade.
  • Jan 2019
    96 sections of wind turbine towers make their way from Burnie port to the site.
  • Apr 2019
    The final sections of the turbine towers are set to arrive at the Port of Burnie. The shipments will contain 15 turbine towers split into 90 pieces that each weigh more than 50 tonnes and span 30 metres. The components will be transported from the port to a storage facility next to Bunnings Warehouse from April 3 to 12.
  • Aug 2019
    Construction crews successfully complete the first concrete pour for one of the site’s 31 wind turbine foundations.
  • Oct 2019
    First blades arrive at the site.
  • Nov 2019
    Successful construction of a switching station and 11 km of transmission line, in preparation for injecting into the grid.
  • 24 Nov 2019
    The first of 21 wind turbines installed.
  • Feb 2020
    Project starts sending power to the grid – although just a fraction of the one-third increase to the state’s wind power capacity it will ultimately deliver.
  • 08 Mar 2020
    After months of extreme rainfall, Vestas completes the final concrete base for the turbines.