Beryl Solar Farm, New South Wales, Australia - Project details and construction updates

Last Modified: Wed May 06 2020 04:16:16 GMT+0530 (India Standard Time)
  • 87 MW
    generation capacity of the Beryl Solar Farm, approximately five kilometers west of Gulgong, New South Wales.
  • 199 GWh
    of electricity will be generated in the first year. The project will connect directly into TransGrid’s high-voltage electricity transmission network, located around 250 mts away, via a 66kV connection to a new bay at Beryl Substation.
  • 25,000
    approximate number of NSW households that can be powered by the farm each year.
  • 139,000 tonnes
    estimated reduction in CO2 emissions each year, once the farm is operational.
  • 322
    hectares - a significant portion of which is prime agricultural land - will be used for the solar farm, the issue has divided the Gulgong community.
  • 258,210
    First Solar Series 6 modules used. The modules have a nameplate capacity of up to 445 W and 18% efficiency. The modules have been mounted on 44,457 piles and 8,607 trackers. Exotrack® HZ V2 structures produced by ArcelorMittal Projects Exosun. Installation by Tranex Solar utilizing Universal Field Robots
  • 5
    major organisations involved: Project Developer: New Energy Solar, First Solar, EPC and O&M: Downer Group, First Solar, PPA: Transport for NSW (TfNSW), Kellogg’s Australia
  • $187 million
    estimated project cost.
  • 150
    peak jobs during construction phase.
  • ?
    FTE during operational phase.
  • Dec 2017
    Development approval received from NSW govt.
  • 14 May 2018
    Financial close achieved. The project’s construction debt facility will be provided by Société Générale, MUFG Bank, and Mizuho
  • 14 Mar 2018
    Downer awarded EPC contract worth an estimated $150 million.
  • 06 Jul 2018
    15-year PPA with NSW Government statutory authority Transport for NSW signed for offtake of 134,000 MWh - or the entire operational electricity needs of the new Sydney Metro Northwest railway.
  • 13 Jul 2018
    New Energy Solar announces it has entered into binding agreements to acquire the project. Under the agreements, and subject to the satisfaction of conditions precedent, NEW will acquire a 49% interest in Beryl shortly after construction has commenced. Once Beryl reaches commercial operation (targeted for mid-2019), and subject to remaining consents and conditions, NEW will acquire the remaining 51%.
  • 11 Apr 2019
    Project starts to feed into the national grid with commissioning and testing to follow.
  • Jun 2019
    Project reaches full output after single month of commissioning.
  • Jul 2019
    Kellogg’s Australia has signed a seven-and-a-half year power purchase agreement (PPA) with the Beryl Solar Farm to become the latest corporate entity to commit to sourcing the equivalent of 100 per cent of its electricity needs from renewables.