Warradarge Wind Farm, Western Australia, Australia

Last Modified: Fri Jul 08 2022 07:40:05 GMT+0530 (India Standard Time)
  • 180 MW
    generation capacity of the Warradarge Wind Farm located in the Mid-West region of Western Australia, 15km north-east of Warradarge, 15 km south-east of Eneabba and 40 km south-west of Carnamah.
  • ? GWh
    proposed to be generated per year. Synergy, an electricity generator and retailer that is owned by the Western Australian Government, will purchase all electricity and renewable certificates from the project, assisting Synergy and Western Australia to meet its 2020 Large-scale Renewable Energy Target obligations.
  • 135,000
    approximate number of Western Australian households that can be powered by the farm each year.
  • ? tonnes
    estimated reduction in CO2 emissions each year, once the farm is operational.
  • 3,800 hectares
    Approximate area available for the farm. Western Power will construct the 10-kilometre transmission line from the wind farm sub-station to the network connection point near Eneabba.
  • 51
    V136-3.45 MW turbines delivered in 3.6 MW Power Optimised Mode with hub heights of 84 meters will be used to maximise performance in the site's specific wind conditions.
  • 6
    major organisations involved: 1) Project Developer: Bright Energy Investments, Dutch Infrastructure Fund (DIF), CBUS 2) EPC and O&M: Vestas, Decmil 3) PPA: Synergy
  • $500 million
    estimated project cost
  • 200
    peak jobs during construction phase.
  • 10
    permanent jobs during operational phase.
  • 3Q2019
    Estimated start of construction with commissioning in September 2020.
  • 21 Dec 2018
    Bright Energy Investments (BEI) - an energy investments consortium made up of Cbus, Dutch Infrastructure Fund (DIF) and Synergy acquires the project. Cbus is equal partner in consortium with DIF. Together, they own 80.1% of BEI. The original project developer, the West Australian Government-owned electricity generator and retailer Synergy holds the remaining 19.9% stake.
  • 28 Dec 2018
    Vestas appointed as EPC and O&M contractor. Upon completion, Vestas will commence an up to 30-year Active Output Management 5000 (AOM 5000) service agreement, designed to maximise energy production for the lifetime of the project. With a yield-based availability guarantee, covering both turbines and balance of plant assets, Vestas will provide Synergy with long-term business case certainty. Commercial operations are scheduled to commence in the third quarter of 2020.
  • 07 Jan 2019
    The WA government gives the green light for construction to begin.
  • 07 Mar 2019
    Decmil Group bags $72 million balance of plant works contract.
  • 25 May 2019
    Project receives generation license from the Western Australian Economic Regulation Authority.
  • Dec 2019
    Major structural components begin their journey to site. The first of the turbine parts will be moved from the Henderson Australian Marine Complex to the wind farm site near Eneabba. A total of 153 turbine blades, 153 tower sections and 51 turbine nacelles will be trucked up north over the next few months. 27 out of a total of 51 foundations have been poured ready to receive the wind turbines.
  • 21 Jan 2020
    1st of 51 Vestas wind turbines erected.
  • 07 Oct 2020
    The wind farm was opened by the Western Australian Minister for Energy Bill Johnston. Johnston said: “It’s exciting to witness the sheer scale of this project, and without a doubt, the Warradarge Wind Farm will become one of the best large-scale renewables projects in Australia.