Generation and treatment of sewage in Hyderabad

Last Modified: Sat Aug 14 2021 18:28:01 GMT+0530 (India Standard Time)
  • 1,781 million litres
    Estimated sewage generated each day in greater Hyderabad area, including the twin cities of Hyderabad and Secunderabad.
  • 772 million litres
    Amount of sewage that is treated in various Sewage Treatment Plants in the city (43%). The rest of the sewage (57%) is released untreated, mostly in the Musi river or into the Hussain Sagar. Untreated water flows through 50 villages downstream of Musi. Villages affected include Choutuppal, Bhongir, Hayatnagar, Ghatkesar, Bibinagar, Ramayampet, Suryapet, Edulabad and Pochampally.
  • 22
    Number of Sewage Treatment Plants (STPs) that are operational as of Dec 2020.
  • 339 MLD
    Treatment capacity of Amberpet STP.
  • 172 MLD
    Treatment capacity of Nagole STP. Built at a cost of Rs 53.92 crore with funding from the National River Conservation Project, the plant was commissioned in 2008. Operations of the STP were taken over by HMWSSB from GHMC from 01 Mar 2020.
  • 51 MLD
    Treatment capacity of the Bapughat STP at Attapur which treats water from Bapughat, Bahadurpura and Mughal ka Naka areas.
  • 30 MLD
    Treatment capacity of Nallacheruvu STP
  • 30 MLD
    Treatment capacity of STP at KIMS Hospital.
  • 23 MLD
    Treatment capacity of Attapur STP
  • 20 MLD
    Treatment capacity of the Khairatabad STP. In Oct 2019, a delegation of Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) led by MLC and city president N. Ramchander Rao, found that 90% of the drain water was being untreated and let directly into the tank bund and the remaining 10% was not being treated properly owing to non-functioning of equipment such as screening chambers and tanks, while aerators were only functioning partially.
  • 15 MLD
    Treatment capacity of Mir Alam Tank STP. Oct 2019 - was treating sewage, but at 30% efficiency.
  • 12 MLD
    Treatment capacity of Khazakunta STP.
  • 10 MLD
    Treatment capacity of Nacharam (Pedda Cheruvu) STP.
  • 7 MLD
    Treatment capacity of Pedda Cheruvu STP at Khajaguda.
  • 5 MLD
    Treatment capacity of Durgam Cheruvu STP - which receives nearly 35 MLD and is therefore simply unable to treat the excess inflow.
  • 5.0 MLD
    Treatment capacity of Rangadhamuni STP. The STP is currently under maintenance.
  • 4.5 MLD
    Treatment capacity of Khajaguda STP. In Oct 2019, not a single unit was found functioning since two years with sewage directly being let out into the tank untreated.
  • 4.0 MLD
    Treatment capacity of Noor Mohammed Kunta STP.
  • 2.5 MLD
    Treatment capacity of Saroornagar STP
  • 2.5 MLD
    Treatment capacity of Pragathi Nagar STP.
  • 2.5 MLD
    Treatment capacity of Patel Cheruvu STP.
  • 1.25 MLD
    Treatment capacity of Langar House STP.
  • 0.6 MLD
    Treatment capacity of Safilguda STP.
  • 0.5 MLD
    Treatment capacity of Krishna Kanth STP. The STP is currently under maintenance.
  • 0.5 MLD
    Treatment capacity of Jalagam Vengal Rao STP.
  • 62
    Number of STPs that Hyderabad Metropolitan Water Supply and Sewerage Board (HMWS&SB) proposes to construct under a comprehensive sewerage master plan (SMP) formulated around 2 years ago. These STPs will have a combined treatment capacity of 2,057 MLD needed to meet the projected sewage treatment of 2,815 MLD by the year 2036. The water board has sought Rs. 3,000 crores from the National River Conservation Directorate (NRCD), which functions under the Ministry of Jal Shakti Department of Water Resources, River Development & Ganga Rejuvenation.
  • 17
    Number of Sewage Treatment Plants (STPs) with a combined capacity of 376.5 MLD that are proposed to be constructed along River Musi and on Kukatpally Nala Catchment (Hussain Sagar Lake Catchment) of Hyderabad Urban Agglomeration Area. The Hyderabad Metropolitan Development Authority floats tender in Oct 2020 for construction of these STPs under a decentralised hybrid annuity mode (HAM) and will be referred to as Hyderabad Urban Sewage Disposal Scheme - Package III.
  • Dec 2020
    Works commence on setting up 17 STPs (of the 62 in the Master Plan). These plants will be built in Kukatpally, Qutbullapur and Serilingampalle areas - along the Musi river and Kukatpally Nala catchment. The plants, once commissioned, will have a combined treatment capacity of 376.5 MLD and go a long way in treatment sewage that today drains untreated into the Hussain Sagar.
  • Rs 1,081.75 crore
    Estimates cost of construction and Operations and Maintenance for 15 years. Contract for construction and O&M awarded to Megha Engineering & Infrastructures Ltd. under the hybrid annuity model.
  • 06 Aug 2021
    Municipal Administration and Urban Development Minister KT Rama Rao laid the foundation stone for a 100 MLD sewage treatment plant in Fatehnagar, with which formal construction of the 17 STPs under Package III began simultaneously.